Rupantaran Nepal carried out an assignment funded by ADRA-Nepal for creating community climate change in Rupandehi district from March 2013 to May 2014.
This project addressed the following Millenium Development Goals (MDGs)
MDG3 Promoting Gender Equality and Empowerment Women
MDG7 Ensuring Environmental Sustainability
MDG8 Developing a Global Partnership Development
The broad objective of this project was to enhance adaptive capacity of poor and climate vulnerable people and communities by supporting their urgent and immediate climate change adaptation priorities.
Specifically the project aimed to:
1. Raise awareness of the co-operatives members and local level stakeholders (local bodies, line agencies, civil society and private sector) on climate change adaptation.
2. Strengthen capacity of existing institutional mechanisms e.g. cooperatives, local bodies and local service provider (government agencies, private sector providers) to deliver urgent and immediate adaptation needs and coordinating planning for synergy development.
The outcomes and key activities were as follows:
Outcome 1 To enhance the coping capacities of vulnerable co-operative members to respond to the impacts of climate change. Key activities were: Identify of climate vulnerable HHs, Awareness and sensitization on CCA, CCA focus education programme, development and publication self- generated education materials
Outcome 2 To strengthen the institutional capacity of existing cooperatives and vulnerable communities to respond to the adverse impacts of climate change : Key activities were Seed fund establishment, resource centre establishment and strengthened, training on CBAP preparation and implementation, CBAP implementation support and cross learning and sharing
Outcome 3 To support innovative community based adaptation priorities identified by village development committee: Key activities were Village Climate Change Coordination Committee formulation and strengthening, LAPA development with synthesising CBAP and its implementation support; joint monitoring.
1. District project inception workshop has organised with 26 district based service providers and stakeholders to inform about the project, explore possible synergy development and coordination
2. 422 number of climate vulnerable women had participated and graduated 3 months climate change focused Non Formal Education Classes
3. 5 resource centre were established within cooperative and serving different services and climate change knowledge to cooperative members
4. 5 Community based adaptation plan has prepared by Cooperatives and it has been implemented with support from 5C project
5. 4 Local Adaptation Plan for action have developed with following the LAPA frameworks , engaging local stakeholders and which has been led by VDC
6. Village climate change coordination committee has been formulated and functional within VDCs to facilitate and implementation of LAPA
7. 4 Visual documentaries has been produced by using multi- media monitoring approaches by using local videographers and its learning synthesis in one video documentation
Involvement of women, marginalized and disadvantaged people
This project has worked with women led saving and credit cooperative and mostly targetted to climate vulnerable co-operative women and their families. Therefore, strong engagement and participation of women has been ensured in planning, implementation and monitoring of all project interventions.